Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Blog Rankings. Networking. Dreams

I write this blog with the hope of sharing dreams with others who will work with Cabrini Connections and the Tutor/Mentor Connection to help inner city kids move through school and into jobs and careers.

While I know that between 1,000 and 1500 visitors come to this site each month, I don't know how that compares with other non profit blogs. However, a List of Change blog has been created, which shows which blogs are having the greatest impact. Over 200 blogs are on the site, and this one tied for 30th on the list.

In most of these blogs, I share information, and I share dreams. My hope is to inspire volunteers, donors, political leaders and others to be more strategic in how they support tutor/mentor programs, so we can be more effective in how we inspire kids to learn, and support them as they move through school.

Last weekend we hosted a 2 day conference in Chicago, which brings people together to share ideas and network. Nicole White, from my staff, has been part of the last five conferences, and organized the last two. I encourage you to read what she wrote this week.

Nicole started with us as a Northwestern University Public Interest intern two years ago. Last year Chris Warren took this role. Chris has added a new dimension of 'story telling' to our work this year. I encourage you to read this article about how he and students from our leadership council, and other volunteers, created a new video for the year end dinner.

On Saturday, as I was running to the bank to deposit money to pay our bills, I met a new tenet in the 800 W. Huron building where we operate. We started talking and he introduced me to a book titled The Dream Manager, written by Matthew Kelly. As we talked I realized how much we at Cabrini Connections, and the Tutor/Mentor Connection are all about helping young people achieve their dreams.

From reading this book, and attending a session hosted by The Dream Manager team in Chicago today, my thinking has gone to another level. We need to also be thinking about how we help the parents of our kids, and our volunteers, staff, family members, and ourselves, achieve our own dreams. We need to learn what the dreams are of our donors, and and our alumni.

We all have dreams. We can help each other express those dreams, and achieve them.

In doing so we can make the Dream of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. more of a reality than it has ever been in the past.

No comments: