Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Re-Cycling Good Ideas - Opportunity for Youth

I've written more than 1000 articles since 2005, and many from previous years are just as relevant now as they were when I wrote them. In the research section of the Tutor/Mentor Connection library I point to more than 200 web sites with articles and research on poverty, drop out prevention, social capital, etc. Some were written 20 years ago, yet they also still are valuable resources....but only if people find them and read them.

Thus, I'm pleased to show this presentation which was created by one of the interns from South Korea who was with me from last May through July 3 of this year. This shows work done by other interns in past years. It's one of two presentations like this which were done in the past few weeks. See the second here.



I keep finding new ways to share information from my library. I've been part of a Making Learning Connected MOOC (#CLMOOC) for the past few weeks and one idea shared with me was a tool called "Jog the Web" that enables you to create a list of recommended web sites.

I created this Research on Education, Poverty & Social Capital jog in about 30 minutes by scrolling through one section of my links library and picking a few links for the Jog.

I think young people could be going through web libraries like mine, and using Google searches, to find information that they and adults in their communities might use to build more effective strategies for helping kids move safely through k-12 school and then into college, vocational school, the military, and into jobs and careers.

For instance, school starts in another six weeks. Teens could be building lists of links pointing to tutor/mentor programs in their neighborhood, or to the type of tutor/mentor programs they would like to see in their neighborhood just by browsing through this, this and this sections of my links library.

They could be pointing to reasons and ways adults could support the growth of such programs by creating a list based on past articles on this web site, or by browsing the blog lists on the Tutor/Mentor Institute Library.

They could be creating a variety of presentations, like the videos shown here, to encourage adults to volunteer time, talent and/or dollars to help build a k-12 network of youth serving programs in the neighborhood where they live or in neighborhoods where they are most needed.

All it takes is a few pioneers to start doing this and others will follow.

No comments: