Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Helping Youth Tutor/Mentor Programs Grow

Below is a map of the central part of Chicago on which I've plotted locations of a few youth tutor and/or mentor programs. I've combined it with a graphic showing Twitter accounts of a few Chicago programs. You can find my list of programs and the map platform I used at this link.

I've posted this to illustrate my 25 year commitment to helping volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs grow in all high poverty areas of the Chicago region.

Yesterday I included the concept map shown below in an article on the MappingforJustice blog, showing the layers of information that were included in a Chicago tutor/mentor programs directory that we started building in the 1990s and put online in 2004.

Layers of information needed on a program locator - click here
Today I had a short ZOOM meeting with someone from the World Economic Forum in Zurich, Switzerland in which I described the program locator layers and how a platform like this can be used in cities throughout the world.  I also told of my goal of finding developers to help rebuild the Program Locator, as open source technology, so the template could be adopted in more places.

Take a look at yesterday's article and look at other articles on this blog, and the MappingforJustice blog showing uses of maps that could be duplicated in thousands of locations.

You can connect with me on any of these social media platforms.  I'd like to hear from you.


No comments: