Wednesday, January 27, 2021

What you find under "What Programs?" search

I've been writing this blog for 16 years so I've probably touched on every thing people need to think about, and do, to make mentor-rich non-school programs available in every high poverty neighborhood of Chicago, or any other city.

So, I often look at blog articles from the past for inspiration when posting new ones.

Today I posted "What programs" in the search bar in the upper left corner and here are a few articles that I found.


Feb. 17, 2019 - What Tutor/Mentor Programs Operate in Chicago Region?  This is question I've been asking and trying to answer since 1993 when I formed the Tutor/Mentor Connection.  Click here to read the article. 



March 28, 2016 - What is Information-Based Problem Solving?

Instead of constantly re-inventing new programs why not look at what people already do in different places and borrow what will help your program help kids in your own zip code?  That's the basic goal of the web library I started building in the early 1990s, several years before I started putting my directory and library on line. Click here to read the article. 

January 11, 2013 - 100% of seniors graduate. What does this mean?  Many organizations boast of 100% graduation rates of high school seniors. But, does this mean every youth who joined them in 7th or 8th grade graduated five or six years later?  Click here to read the article. 


June 26, 2017 - Supporting Youth Tutor/Mentor Programs Throughout the City.   In 1993 while I was creating a new tutor/mentor program to serve teens living in the Cabrini Green area of Chicago I recognized that one more small program could make a life-changing difference in the lives of a few kids, but would have little impact on the more than 200,000 k-12 kids living in poverty in Chicago.  So we created the Tutor/Mentor Connection to help programs like ours throughout the Chicago region get the operating resources, ideas and attention each needs to be great at helping kids.    Click here to read the article. 

These are just four of many articles you'd find if you entered "what programs" in the search bar at the top left corner of this blog.  The words in this graphic are tags on many articles that you can find listed on the left side of this blog. Click any tag and you can find dozens, even hundreds, of articles related to that word.

Tomorrow and Friday I'll be sitting in on sessions of the annual National Mentoring Summit, held virtually this year.  As I do I hope some people will be asking some of the questions I've been asking and that a few will visit this blog and let my thinking help them as they look for ways to support kids in their own programs and communities.

If you'd like to connect this page shows links to my social media sites.

If you'd like to help with a contribution to fund this work, click here.  

No comments: