Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Coverage - Look at how maps are being used

I've been watching about 2 hours of election coverage tonight and one thing that really excites me is the way interactive maps are being used to convey information. I've been watching Fox TV the most, but other channels are using maps, too.

If you've been reading my blog for long, you know I love maps, and how they can convey information about a geographic region. Think of how the way maps are being used tonight might be used on a regular basis to draw attention to areas with poor schools, high drop out rates, not enough tutor/mentor programs or other supports that might help kids do better in school and prepare for 21st century jobs.

In fact, imagine how high schools and colleges could be teaching kids how to create map presentations like you're seeing on TV tonight. That's a marketable skill. It could be taught in schools, or non-school technology centers.

I am envious when I see this use of GIS. I don't have the resources to do this but would love to work with a TV station in Chicago, or any other city, to tell the story of poverty and leadership, using maps to mobilize resources and keep attention focused on issues that need regular attention for a long time.

Maybe the new President is watching this coverage and thinking the same thing?

No comments: