Sunday, June 24, 2012

Mapping NCVS and moving to August

I was able to attend one day of the National Conference on Volunteering and Service, held in Chicago this week. As I've done in the past, my purpose was to connect with people and ideas that I could work with in the future to help make constantly-improving, mentor-rich non-school programs available in more high poverty neighborhoods.



I met a couple of people who I've connected with in the past, such as Chris Jarvis from Realized Worth, and Kelli Covey from the Project on Civic Reflection. I also ran into Scott Nierman, who I met while we both were with the Illinois Commission on Volunteering and Service between 2001 and 2009. I was also able to connect with Pia Simone from NobleHour, who was the only company to be a sponsor for the last Tutor/Mentor Leadership and Networking Conference in Chicago.

However, I think I met more people by taking part in the Twitter chat that was going on during the conference and continues this week.

The organizers of the National Conference have done a great job of sharing materials. Here's a few

* Video from Tuesday session on the Economy and Service
*Video from Tuesday session featuring Arne Duncan and Alberto M. Carvalho, Superintendent of Miami-Dade Schools
* List of workshops, bios, handouts from each session

I've used concept maps like this to try to connect people who attend different events focused on education, diversity, the drop-out crisis, etc. I keep adding to these maps, thus building the network of people who hopefully will connect with me and each other in the weeks between these events.



I've been working with interns to show changes in the network that grow over a period of years. If we can demonstrate the role of the person with the database who invites others to come together, or who serves as a network-builder, connecting one group with other groups, perhaps we can find more ways to fund this work.



I will be sharing these maps on Twitter and Facebook to open my network to others and to encourage others who attend and organize these events to build their own 'network maps' showing who they connected with and who they will be working with in coming months and years.

Post your link in the comments section if you do make such a map.

No comments: