Saturday, September 14, 2019

Five Dot Challenge from #CLMOOC

On Twitter - click here
If you've followed my blog for a few years you have seen me point to the Connected Learning #clmooc network that I'm connected to on Twitter, Facebook and via blog articles.

For the past week or so I've seen this invitation to participate in a five-dot challenge, which is illustrated by Kevin Hodgson in the Tweet at the left.

What you've also seen if you've read past articles is that I usually connect these activities to work I'm doing.  So, my five-dot challenge graphic is shown below.

My five dots are shown on the 4-part strategy map.  
The Tutor/Mentor Connection piloted this strategy in 1993 and I've followed it since then. You can see it on the strategy page of my main web site.  I wrote several blog articles describing the 4-part strategy. Here's one.  http://tutormentor.blogspot.com/2017/07/four-part-strategy-to-help-k-12-youth.html 

See intern visualizations
As I write my blog and share with educators and leaders of other youth tutor, mentor and learning programs in Chicago and other cities, one goal is that youth in these programs look at these articles, then create their own interpretations, using a variety of different media and communications formats.  Visit this page and see how interns from South Korean and US universities have interpreted the four part strategies of the Tutor/Mentor Connection (which I now lead via Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC).

I've never had enough support to do all that I've been trying to do, and have believed that youth in high school and colleges throughout the country could provide manpower and talent to lead Tutor/Mentor Connection-type strategies in their own communities.  Below is another version of the four part strategy, which in this case, shows work youth could be doing.

Look deeply and see ways youth and others can help - click here

While I've tried to inspire people to share what they find on my web sites, blogs and social media post, those who have been doing that are pretty scarce.  Visit this cMap page and you can view blog articles that show how some people have been doing this.

View here

Thus, I've been really impressed by how Democratic Presidential Candidate Andrew Yang has inspired dozens (probably more) of people to create videos telling their #MyYangStory.  The one shown at the left is just one that you will find if you search #yanggang on Twitter. 

I've not made a commitment to vote for Andrew Yang. What I'm saying is that I'm really impressed at how he has inspired so many other people to help share his message.

Imagine if that many people were sharing the ideas of the Tutor/Mentor Connection/Institute, LLC.

Would that result in more people helping well-organized non-school tutor, mentor and learning programs reach k-12 youth in high poverty neighborhoods of the USA and the world?

Would it share ideas and generate resources so that in five or ten years we'd find stories on thousands of web sites showing kids and volunteers who have had their lives transformed as a result of being part of these programs?

That's the goal.

Thus, my five dot story is intended to inspire such actions.  If you create a post, share it on Twitter with me at @tutormentorteam.  

2 comments:

Dogtrax said...

I hadn't seen any of the Yang videos, so that's an interesting use of digital storytelling by supporters - to tell their own story with video and text and so on. And those are built for social media, like Twitter. Thanks for diving into the Dot Day concept and using it as a way to highlight the work that still needs to be done, in plenty of places.
Kevin

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

Thanks for taking a look.

I don't think any of the other candidates in the 2020 election cycle have yet unleashed the creativity of their followers they way Yang has. These people are trying to clarify his positions, for instance on Universal Basic Income.

I don't see Warren or Sanders supporters doing this. Or any of the others.

My post is not to support Yang, but to show how others can look at work we do and then help to clarify it to other people.