Friday, July 10, 2009

Message to Graduates - "living in relative poverty and loving my work"



"for the time being, living in relative poverty and loving my work is far preferable to any number of potentially more financially lucrative alternatives."


My daughter graduated from Maine South High School in June 2009 and the two students who gave keynote addresses both talked about living a life of service rather than pursuing financial reward.

I hope that they will find this article written by Chris Warren, who has just completed his one year fellowship with Cabrini Connections, Tutor/Mentor Connection. Chris will spend his next year in a Guatemalan non-profit school, as a volunteer.

Chris finishes this article with this message:

"now more than ever, we need to bring more leaders and other motivated folks into the fold to advocate for our youth, our programs and our future.

Personally, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I am and will continue to be one of these people."

I hope you'll bookmark Chris Warren's blog and find time to read some of the articles he has written in the past year. These provide a different perspective on tutoring and mentoring, and the Tutor/Mentor Connection, than what I write. Hopefully, the understanding you build by reading what Chris and others write leads you and others to make the same commitment Chris has made.

No comments: