Saturday, February 06, 2010

Does Obama Believe in School Integration?

I encourage you to read the material and join this discussion at Fireside Learning's community portal.

What should the goals of public education be? Another discussion worth following on Fireside Learning.

The reason I feel volunteer-based tutoring/mentoring programs are important is that I grew up in a small Illinois town with just a few minorities. I attended a college with just a few minorities. Most of the people making policy decisions are not people who grew up in high poverty, segregated big city neighborhoods.

The only way I became interested in this topic was through my many years of personal involvement with the kids and families of Cabrini Green and inner city Chicago.

If we want to change public policy we need to find ways to get more people who don't live in poverty, personally involved so they spend more time trying to understand problems and solutions.

No comments: