Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Using data to solve problems - STRIVE example

I encourage you to view this video where Jeff Edmonds, CEO of the STRIVE project in Cincinnati talks about how data can be used to support "every child, every step of the way, from cradle to career".



I've been talking about supporting youth from "birth to work" for more than 18 years and have been using maps and graphics to illustrate these ideas. Yet while STRIVE has an annual budget of more than $1.5 million to do its work in Cincinnati, a much smaller urban area than Chicago, I've never had more than $150,000 to support the Tutor/Mentor Connection. I encourage you to read this Stanford Social Innovative Review article which describes the STRIVE partnership and shows its own funding challenges.

While I'd like to find a benefactor and partner to turn the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC into a Think Tank that could support collective efforts focused on mentoring kids to careers in every city in the country, I'd also like to find a way to become a consultant/adviser to any group who is already doing this....in Chicago....or in any other city.

No comments: