Monday, October 08, 2018

Celebrate. Reflect. Indigenous Peoples Day

In many places school is out and people are celebrating the Columbus Day Holiday. However, in a growing number of other places, the name of this holiday has been changed to Indigenous Peoples Day, to recognize that America was already full of people with a rich civilization before settlers from Europe invaded the continent and took their land.

Here's one of many Tweets with links to articles that I invite others to read and reflect on:



Here's a Tweet with a map showing cities that are changing from Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples Day



Here are some hashtags you can use to find more Tweets and links.  #indigenouspeoplesday#IndigenousPeoplesDay2018  You can do a Google search and find many articles and resources. Here's a site with many links embedded.

resource links
I've been working with inner-city youth in Chicago since 1975. Since most of those in the programs I've led were African American and Latino youth my web library has tended to include many more articles that show how actions taken from the 1600's through today have created the racial barriers and cultural divide we're struggling with in this country. 

The cMap at the left points to one sub-section of the Tutor/Mentor web library. This section includes articles about race, poverty, inequality, social justice, prevention, etc. that are available to anyone who wants to build a deeper understanding of these issues. 

If someone is building a similar library, focusing on other US cities or the rest of the world, or focusing on Indigenous Peoples or Latino, Asian and other minority groups who have been discriminated against by the majority in America, send me links and I'll add them to my own library.

Note: I depend on contributions to help fund my work. Please visit my FundMe page and help if you can.


2 comments:

EmbLogic Research said...

This is really interesting blog on best institute for arm embedded, You are a very skilled blogger. I've joined your rss feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I've shared your web site in my social networks! Thank You!!!

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

Thanks for your comment and for sharing my web site. I usually don't approve comments with embedded links included. I made exception in your case. If you like what I'm doing consider a contribution to my FUND ME campaign. Here's the link. http://www.tutormentorconference.org/2018_Fund_TMC_TMI_Campaign.htm