Saturday, November 30, 2019

Look alike. Think alike.


Yesterday a friend on Linkedin saw my Halloween post and said "Is that the late Woodie Flowers?"  I did not recognize the name so did a Google search and found that Woodie Flowers was a long-time MIT professor, a leader of First Robotics for more than 30 years, and an education innovator.  He passed away last month.

Below I've posted the video that I watched this morning to learn who Woodie Flowers was. As I watched I found many similarities to my own thinking, and commitment to creating learning opportunities for young people, starting as early as first grade.  He said in the interview "surround yourself with people smarter than you are". I wish I had found a way to connect with him.

Watch the video:



Here's a photo taken when I was interviewed for a Chicago Tribune article a few years ago.


Here's a video of me talking about empathy in 2012. Here's another video from a panel discussion in 2011.   See the similarities?

In the video I looked at this morning were many nuggets that I'd like to share.  One was that innovators and educators need to recruit 100 others who help share the lessons and ideas of the leader.

If you share my blog you're doing that. If we connect on Twitter @tutormentorteam, you're doing that. I hope my life has just a fraction of the impact that Woodie Flowers has had.

I'm beginning my annual holiday appeal. Click here if you'd like to make a contribution to support the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC and the work I've been doing since 1993.

1 comment:

Dogtrax said...

Interesting ...