Thursday, September 28, 2023

Borrow ideas from my visualizations

I've been updating my visual essays for the past two months and now include statements calling on other cities to adopt the strategies I've piloted since 1993 in Chicago. 

Below is a "War on Poverty" essay, which shows planning steps needed to assure that every K-12 youth living in a high poverty area has access to well-organized, mentor-rich, non-school, tutor, mentor and learning programs.

Planning Cycle - War on Po... by Daniel F. Bassill

Below is one of the slides from this presentation.


In my blog articles, social media posts, and essays I encourage leaders from Chicago and other places to share these presentations and use maps the way I demonstrate, to focus attention and resources on areas with high poverty and to do the planning necessary to fill every poverty area with high quality, long-term, tutor, mentor and learning programs.  Voters should reward political leaders who do this.

Another presentation uses the Total Quality Mentoring graphic that I created in the 1990s to show donors how the tutor/mentor program I was leading connected inner-city teens to a wide range of workplace adults and learning opportunities.


Every spoke on the wheel of this graphic could represent youth and adult leaders who were sharing this blog article with people in their work, family, religious, alumni and social networks.

I created the essay below to explain this Total Quality Mentoring idea.

Total Quality Mentoring (TQ... by Daniel F. Bassill


In many of my updates I've added the map shown below, which shows that many cities in the USA have areas of concentrated poverty.  These are places that could be using my archives to build their own Tutor/Mentor Connection-type strategies.  


You can view this map and find a link to the article if you visit this MappingforJustice page

You can find links to almost all of my PDF essays on this page.  


I'd love to find posts on social media showing teachers, leaders, students, etc. sharing these ideas with people they know.  You can find me on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Mastodon (see links here).

I want to thank Joanne Telser-Frère of  Literacy Chicago, for reading my monthly newsletter, then sending me information about programs having moved to new locations, so I could update my map showing volunteer based youth tutor, mentor programs in the Chicago region.  I can't keep my information up-to-date without such help.

Thanks for reading. Please share.  Furthermore, if you can help fund the Tutor/Mentor Institute, LLC please visit this page.

 

No comments: