Saturday, January 04, 2014

Lists of 2013 blog articles - mentor stories

I started writing this blog in 2005, but have led a volunteer based tutor/mentor program since 1975. I first became a mentor in 1973, when I connected with Leo, who was in 4th grade at the time. We're still connected via Facebook.

On Thursday I started posting lists of articles written in 2013. The first list showed how I follow media stories about violence and poverty with my own articles showing strategies to help build tutor/mentor programs in poverty neighborhoods.

While all of my articles support the growth of mentor-rich programs, I've not led a program since 2011 so fewer of my own stories show what is happening on a weekly basis in a tutor/mentor program. I try to coach other programs to tell those stories on their own blogs and I point to their web sites on the list of Chicago area program links I maintain.

Below are five stories with a focus on mentoring, showing how the media draw attention, but don't draw needed resources to all of the places where mentors can connect with youth.

March 17
FOCUS on Mentoring in Crain's Chicago Business - link


Thursday, September 19, 2013
My Mentor. The Father I never Had. - link

Another story about mentor from Dec. 2013 - link

Saturday, September 07, 2013
Start of New School Year for Tutor/Mentor Programs - link

Monday, October 21, 2013
Mentor Role in Larger Strategy - link

Monday, November 25, 2013
How do you tell difference between youth programs? - link

Thursday, December 05, 2013
Social Service Samurai: Dan Bassill This article shows how I'm a mentor to leaders of other programs - link

During January extra emphasis will be devoted to mentoring via National Mentoring Month. I hope you'll read the articles I've highlighted and build groups in your business, faith group, college, hospital, etc. who will look for ways to provide dollars, talent,leadership and ideas to support mentor-rich programs throughout your community. Next January you can tell stories of what you've done as a result.



No comments: