Saturday, January 02, 2016

Using Better Data to Support Innovative Problem Solving

I read this article, from the Stanford Social Innovation Review (SSIR) today, titled,"Bridging Communities and Government Through Data".   It shows how better data can point people and resources to places where complex problems require investment and on-going effort to create solutions.   This would be part of Step 1, from this 4-part strategy (see presentation)  that I've been sharing , and applying through my own efforts, since 1993.




The SSIR articles calls for government funding of the data gathering part of this process. I think that's part of the solution, but before we get consistent, on-going funding for everything that I include in this strategy map, we need to influence many people in the private sector to do much more than they do now.

The visualization below is one that illustrates a need to influence what resource providers do in order to also influence how government and social benefit organizations do.  Without building a flow of resources, to support innovation, learning, and stronger organizations in more places, the efforts to document and measure outcomes will be too few, and to limited. 






I don't know if you've set a New Year's Resolution yet, of if you ever do. However, unless more people share the ideas I write about, or that SSIR posts on their web site, too few people will be involved in doing the "influence" work needed to get more people involved, more resources involved, and better on-going distribution of talent, dollars, ideas and other needed resources into all of the high poverty areas which are the root of many of the problems we see written about in the daily media.

I've written more than 1000 blog articles since 2005 and I have hosted ideas like this on web sites since 1998. I included these ideas in printed newsletters before the Internet became my tool for sharing ideas.


Leaders in every sector, in every city, need to be writing blogs with the same information I'm sharing, and for the same purpose.

Among the data we need to be collecting would be data that recognizes, on an industry-by-industry, or faith group-by-faith group basis, who is actually taking this role.

In this presentation I show the potential of using the information we collect to inspire and influence constant, year-to-year improvement in what we're all doing to solve complex problems.

While I think this role can be adopted in many types of organization, I continue to seek partners, funders, investors who will help me continue my own efforts.  Click here and make a 2016 contribution to support my work. I'm not a 501-c-3, so I cannot offer a tax deduction.

I can offer to continue to share these ideas, at no cost, to you and other users if you'll help me. 

No comments: