Friday, June 02, 2017

Digging deeper into "here to there" graphic

On Wednesday I posted an article about an on-line digital citizenship conversation, under the hashtag #digciz. I included a graphic from Kevin Hodgson's blog. Today I read another article from Kevin's blog, with a list of  issues he is interested in.

Here to There Steps
That prompted me to look at some past articles I'd written, including this one titled "Social Media and Civic Engagement" where I point to another article by Kevin. In that article I also included this graphic.

Each text box on this graphic represents an issue that I feel needs to be part of any discussion of local-global problems and solutions.  To me civic engagement is not just talking about who gets elected. It's talking to other people about ways we can use our own time, talent and dollars, as well as our votes, to bring solutions to some of those problems.

I created this graphic earlier this year to illustrate how much of our daily attention seems to be focused on what the new President of the US is doing, and what I and others should be doing to resist or elect different people to represent us.

However, the goal was to also show that we still need to provide daily attention to the problems we can solve, if we can just get more people to connect and work together, and more people to think creatively about ways they apply their time, talent and dollars.

In my article I wrote
I'm not just trying to motivate people to read and reflect. I'm trying to motivate on-going investments of time, talent and dollars to support the growth of youth serving organizations that help kids move through school and into jobs.
Thus, my list of topics is focused on problem solving, not just creating on-line discussions and learning opportunities.

I wasn't sure how to communicate what was shown on the graphic, so I decided to put the Lumin5 tool to a new test. Below is the video that I created.



Since 2005 interns have been looking at graphics and blog articles I've created and have then created their own interpretations, which I show here.  

I think one thing educators and leaders of non-school tutor/mentor programs could do is to encourage youth to look at articles like mine, Kevin's and the #digciz community, then build their own interpretations and share them on various social media platforms. Others could do this, too.

For instance, take a look at the visualizations created during this Sketch50 event.   Or look at the ideas Terry Elliott captured in the Storify on his blog.

There are thousands of people creating visualizations daily. I'd like to focus some continuously on the graphics and ideas I've been sharing for the past 20 years in an effort to bring more people and resources to efforts that make mentor-rich school and non-school learning and youth development opportunities available to k-12 youth in every high poverty area of the country.

What do you think? Are your students doing this?


2 comments:

tellio said...

Lovely Lumen5 viz/prez. Might I suggest an experiment? Break up video into shorter segments and then see how else it might be used--tweetstorm, comic storyboard, gif...Just thinking about how many of our readers are so distracted that a three minute video might be too long.

BTW, have you noticed how much more music is in L5 now? And have you tried to insert an RSS feed link into L5 instead of regular URL? Try it. Not sure quite how to use that yet, but...

I already have some ideas about using parts of this L5 in my freshman comp class this fall. I am also going to introduce summarization with L5. Thanks for sharing. Keep sharing.

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

Thanks for viewing the video and offering your suggestions. Not sure how to do some of what you've suggested. I think of my pieces as sparks that motivate actions by others. Those interested in same topic could redo the video, applying your ideas, their creativity, and ideas from others, creating something much more powerful, but with the same purpose. That needs to be happening over and over if we're to engage more and more people in solving some of the problems we face.