Thursday, March 10, 2022

The new war - "disinformation"

The last two weeks, as Russia has invaded the Ukraine, the use of information, or "disinformation" as a tool of war, and/or political domination, has really been highlighted for myself, and probably many others.

This is a topic which I have almost no expertise in, yet as social media use has grown, I've witnessed the ways a creative, and focused disinformation campaign has been waged to destabilize America and Western democracies. 


I created the Tutor/Mentor Connection in 1993 to aggregate information that others might use to understand poverty and structural racism, and see how volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs expand the network of adult support, social capital, for kids living in high poverty areas.

A few years ago I created a section in the Tutor/Mentor Library that focuses on progressive issues and campaigns to elect people who would champion those issues.   I've another section that focuses on "race, poverty, inequality, social justice, etc."  

These contain dozens of links that you can use to build your own understanding and response to these issues. 


As I've done this, I've also used some of my blog articles to aggregate links to specific topics.  This article about "redlining" is an example. Look at all the links I've added to the bottom of the article. 

Thus, I'm going to use this article to do the same, focusing on information about information wars, and disinformation.

To start, I'm posting a Tweet using the words "disinformation war". 

Just by visiting this thread on Twitter you can begin to expand your own understanding of disinformation.

In the coming weeks and months I'll add links to specific Twitter threads and articles that you might look at.  

I feel that this is one of the biggest challenges we face, if we want to preserve our democracy and freedoms.  

No comments: