Thursday, March 03, 2022

Using maps to draw resources to high poverty areas

With the tragic war in Ukraine we're now seeing maps showing troop movements, occupied territory and besieged cities. If you're old enough to remember the first Gulf War you might remember the evening news reports with Generals using similar maps to show progress of Allied forces in Iraq.

I've been using maps since 1993 for a similar purpose, in the "war on poverty".  I posted three Tweets last week that draw attention to this strategy. Take a look.


I share these on Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram, too, but have found greater engagement on Twitter than on the others.

Here's an example.  One of my Tweets was noticed by Anthony Brogdon, from Detroit, last week. That resulted in a conversation where Anthony told me of a movie about mentoring he is producing (see link) and that he was interviewing people involved in mentoring to help draw attention to his movie.  I joined him in a ZOOM call and below you can see how he shared our interview in another Tweet. Click on the link to view the video.


This is what I want to have happen as a result of this blog and my activity on social media. I want to enlist others in drawing attention to volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs in Chicago and other cities, and to my own efforts, which I hope many will duplicate.

Here's another Tweet illustrating this goal. We need leaders from every sector using their own visibility and communications networks drawing daily attention to information showing where and why kids need extra help, and to maps and databases that people can use to distribute their help to youth, and youth-serving programs, in every high poverty area of Chicago and other places.

If you see an athlete, business leader, politician, student or other person pointing to a map saying "get informed; get involved" and "let's fill all of these highlighted areas with great programs helping youth through school and into adult lives and jobs" please share this information on social media and be sure to tag me on Twitter @tutormentorteam.

Browse articles on the MappingforJustice blog for more examples of ways maps can be used as well as articles describing my own use of maps since 1993.  This is one of several articles where I describe my past use of maps and the need for someone to step forward and rebuild this capacity. 

If you'd like to take this role, please reach out to me. 

No comments: