Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Church – the greatest force on Earth

With the national conventions taking place over the next two weeks, millions of people will be focused on the process of electing our next President. However, I found one leader who is focused beyond this, of mobilizing faith communities to "make a difference" where ever they are in the world.

This leader is Rick Warren, who is a mega church leader and hosted a live interview with Obama and McCain, just a couple of weeks ago.

I visited Warren's web site and the headline on the page is "The Church – the greatest force on Earth'. I followed the links, to another web site titled "the P.E.A.C.E. plan" which outlines a strategy for engagement of faith communities in places throughout the world where people need help.

I posted an introduction to Rick Warren on these web sites, and if you're reading this and have a connection, I encourage you to forward this introduction to him, or to leaders of your own congregation.

I have focused some of my blog articles on actions faith leaders can take to help volunteer-based tutor/mentor programs grow in high poverty neighborhoods of Chicago and other cities.

I've used maps and concept maps to illustrate ways leaders can use these tools to support the distribution of comprehensive, long-term programs, in more of the places where they are needed.

In this world of more than 6 billion people, I'm just a grain of sand in the ocean of life. However, I use this and other Tutor/Mentor Connection web sites as a resource that people with much greater visibility can use to further their own leadership goals.

While the candidates are outlining the reasons people should vote for them in November, I hope they and others will be pointing to maps, that outline a strategy, and that point to places where members of faith and secular communities can serve as volunteers, leaders and donors to help youth living in poverty get the adult learning supports they need to have greater success in school and in life.

That can happen if you pass this message on.

No comments: